Saturday, October 9, 2010

Children's Hospital Visit





My visit to the Children's Hospital in Birmingham, AL was one of the most memorable moments of my life.  After a morning of tears and prayer trying to prepare myself to be strong in front of the children and families, I sat in the limo that was sent for us, next to Rena Lantrip (my state director), Jennifer Beaver (Mrs. Alabama) and Savannah Boyd (Miss Teen Alabama).  We met race car driver, Ricky Byers just down the street from the hospital so that we could arrive behind him as he drove his race car to Children's for the kids to see.  I spoke with so many inspiring children and their families and tried to provide some level of comfort to them during these difficult times.  The kids were amazing!  I could have stayed there all day just to talk and play with them!  As our time was coming to a close, we were able to help one of the girls into Ricky's race car to rev the engine.  Her smile said it all!  She hugged Ricky and told him that he was "her hero" and "today is the best day of her life".  Ricky smiled back at the little girl and said, "I'm not a hero.  I just drive a car around a racetrack.  You are the real hero and are the reason I am inspired to do what I do everyday."  Even though the day was filled with emotions, it was definitely one of the best days of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment